Saint Aloysius Parish
21 Cherry Street
New Canaan, CT  06840
203 966-0020
Parish History
St. Aloysius Parish - Historical Milestones

1731
Canaan Parish is established by the colonial legislature as a congressional church district.

1801
New Canaan is incorporated as a town.

1850
The first Catholics settle in New Canaan.

1855
Rev. Hugh O'Reilly of St. Mary's, Norwalk, celebrates the first mass in New Canaan.

1862
The First Catholic Church is built in New Canaan, on Forest Street.

1896
On June1, the New Canaan Mission is separated from St. Mary's Parish; Rev. John T. McMahon is appointed as the first pastor of the new St. Aloysius Parish. Maurice Corrigan, son of Joseph and Rose Corrigan, is the first child baptized in the parish.

1907
Property is acquired on the corner of South Avenue and Maple Street.

1917
On July 15, the New South Avenue Church is dedicated.

1929
Rev. William J. Fox becomes pastor, serving for 33 years, the longest term of service at St. Aloysius.

1945
A convent for the Sisters of Notre Dame de NAmur is established on Cherry Street.

1956
A parochial school is built on the school grounds.

1967
On November 26, dedication of Cherry Street Church.

1985
On April 21, the old Church becomes the rectory and parish center.

1995
On December 8th, on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, the renovated St. Aloysius Church is rededicated by Bishop Edward M. Egan.

2005
New Master Plan was finalized calling for relocation of the rectory, a complete renovation of the parish Center, Stapleton Hall and an upgrade to the Tudor House. The “Foundations for the Future” campaign with a goal of five million dollars begins.

2007
After a successful fundraising campaign with pledges in excess of 5.4 million dollars, the new rectory building at 39-41  Maple Street is purchased, priests take residence and building renovation of the Parish Center under the vision of architect Peter Gisolfi Associates begins in September.

2009
The new Parish Center and Stapleton Social Hall is unveiled on the weekend of June 13-14 with a sneak peak of the building after the Parish Feast and a Sunday afternoon celebration after the procession and benediction on the Feast of Corpus Christi.  The renovation brought the building into total ADA compliance with the addition of an elevator to access all floors.  The priest’s offices and the business operations of the Parish move to the second floor and Religious Education and Youth Ministry moves over from the Tudor House to the main floor.  Three conference rooms are added to the building and Stapleton Social Hall is expanded to twice its original size.  The façade of the building is also restored to its original integrity.  A shrine presenting our Patron Saint Aloysius is placed in front of the restored building facing South Avenue.

The Tudor House is re-named the Maguire House and is re-configured to hold the Parish Youth Room as well as additional classrooms for St. Aloysius School.

2010
A statue of Our Lady is donated to the Parish and the shrine is dedicated on the Feast of the Assumption.

® Copyright St. Aloysius Parish 2016
Website by:
Business office | 40 Maple Street | New Canaan, CT 06840 | (P) 203-966-0020 | (F) 203-972-7691 | Sitemap